Going the sweet but savory route today. If you’re the kind who’s always a fan of tomato, bell pepper, and mushrooms, you’ve come to the right place. Our BEYOND MEATBALLS WITH RED PEPPERS AND MUSHROOM SAUCE OVER PARSLEY COUSCOUS is the perfect combination of savory tomato sauce with a touch of sweet. We’ve rolled out meatless meatballs using beyond meat patties and added our go to spices of oregano, basil, onion, and garlic. To give these meatballs a little kick of spice, a touch of taco seasoning is mixed in. Fluffy pasta like couscous is a great vehicle to this meal. So, let’s get cooking!
BEYOND MEATBALLS WITH RED PEPPERS AND MUSHROOM SAUCE OVER PARSLEY COUSCOUS:
RED PEPPER AND MUSHROOM SAUCE
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 4-5 white button mushrooms, sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil for sauteing veggies
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- hot sauce, to taste
- 2-3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- In a medium to large skillet on med-high heat, pour a drizzle of olive oil into the pan. Saute the sliced mushrooms until tender. Remove from the pan onto a dish, set aside.
- To the same skillet, add another drizzle of olive oil. Saute the onions and red bell pepper until your preference to tenderness. Remove from the pan. Place on the dish with the mushrooms. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add tomato paste, water, onion powder, and sugar. Whisk to combine. Add a couple dashes of hot sauce, ketchup, and soy sauce. Whisk to combine.
- Add the cooked veggies to the sauce. Let simmer on low uncovered for about 5-10 minutes.
BEYOND MEAT MEATBALLS
- 2 beyond meat patties
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried chopped onions
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten OR 1/4 cup of Just egg
- 1/2 cup (vegan) panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a med-large mixing bowl, combine the herbs and spices; oregano, basil, parsley, chopped onions, taco seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Add the beyond meat patties, “egg”, and panko bread crumbs. Mix all ingredients together until fully incorporated.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Shape into golf sized balls. Should make about 8 meatballs.
- Lay the meatballs in the dish in a single layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350°F
- 1 box of plain couscous
- handful of parsley, chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons (vegan) butter
- Cook couscous according to the package.
- When couscous is cooked, add parsley and butter. Stir with a fork to combine.
- In a bowl, or on a dish put a spoonful or so of parsley couscous on the dish, then place 2-3 meatballs on the parsley couscous, and finally spoon some of the red pepper mushroom sauce over the meatballs and parsley couscous.