Sometimes a bowl of hot creamy pasta is just what our taste buds are asking for. Since we’re always in the mood for pasta, we thought we’d share our simple but delicious, often turned to, recipe for FETTUCCINE WITH ASPARAGUS AND PEAS. For this dish we cook the pasta a bit further than al dente, this tends to be a delicious pairing to the silky creaminess of the butter sauce. Some freshly cooked asparagus is tossed in along with canned peas. Often we like to use frozen peas in our meals but for this one- canned works perfectly. Because canned peas tend to be softer and not have as much of a bite as frozen tend to, they match the creamy profile we’re looking for. This recipe makes just enough for two. So, let’s hop to it!
FETTUCCINE WITH ASPARAGUS AND PEAS:
- 1/2 cup canned peas, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh asparagus, sliced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch + 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 Tablespoon (vegan) butter
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces fettuccine pasta
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook fettuccine pasta to desired texture. Drain water and set pasta aside.
- Cook asparagus in the 1 cup vegetable broth. When asparagus is tender. Remove from the broth and set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water. Stir until the cornstarch is fully dissolved. This is called a slurry.
- To the vegetable broth add in, onion powder and garlic powder. Slowly whisk in the slurry until broth thickens.
- When the broth has thickened, whisk in the Tablespoon of butter.
- When butter has melted, toss in cooked pasta. Add in the cooked asparagus and canned peas. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Can be served hot or at room temperature.