Now that we’re into November it’s time to start thinking about the Thanksgiving menu. Everybody has their favorite dish on the holiday table. So many to choose from. My mind always goes to the side dishes— mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, the flaky rolls, and even the cranberry sauce, but my absolute favorite has always been the sweet potatoes.
If you’re looking for a sweet potato dish, I highly recommend our SWEET POTATOES AND CARROTS GLAZED WITH ORANGE MARMALADE AND PECANS. They are everything you could hope for, for a Thanksgiving side dish! They’re soft, buttery, caramelized, and sweet with an extra bite of crunch from a fall favorite- chopped pecans. I love these so much because they’re not just sweet potatoes but carrots join the caramelized party too. The sauce has classic flavors of brown sugar and nutmeg with a bonus zing of orange marmalade. They always make an appearance at our Thanksgiving table but we don’t limit this recipe to only once per year. They’re great for Christmas, Easter, or a random night throughout the year. This recipe makes about 3-4 servings, depending on your spoonful. Adjust the recipe as needed. So, let’s hop to it!
SWEET POTATOES AND CARROTS GLAZED WITH ORANGE MARMALADE AND PECANS
- 2 Med-Large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Large Carrot, sliced
- Water to cook the veggies
- 1 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons (Vegan) Butter, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Reserved Cooking Broth (This is the seasoned broth that is made after cooking the potatoes & carrots.)
- 2 Tablespoons (Vegan) Orange Marmalade
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Add the cubed potatoes and sliced carrot to a saucepan and fill with enough water to cover the produce.
- Add nutmeg and a dash of salt & pepper to the saucepan. Cook on medium heat for around 20 minutes or until the potatoes and carrot slices are at your desired tenderness.
- Before draining away the liquid, reserve 1/2 cup, set aside.
- Place the cooked veggies in a separate bowl, set aside.
- In the same pan you cooked the potatoes and carrot slices- Add the room temperature butter and brown sugar. Stir the butter into the brown sugar.
- Add the reserved liquid back into the saucepan. Also add in a pinch of salt, and 1 Tablespoon Orange Marmalade. Stir and cook for about 10 minutes or until a syrupy consistency is formed.
- While the sauce is cooking, you can roast the pecans. To do that- Add the chopped pecans to a dry skillet. Heat on low heat, pushing them around the pan. Heat for about 1-2 minutes. You’ll know they’re ready when a slight nutty scent reveles itself. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- When the syrup is done cooking, add the cooked potatoes and carrot slices to the saucepan. Fold the syrup around the veggies.
- Add a heaping Tablespoon of Orange Marmalade to the saucepan. Fold together.
- Fold in the pecans.
- Spoon into desired serving bowl and enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Sweet Potatoes and Carrots Glazed with Orange Marmalade and Pecans”
This looks like a great recipe and something I would make.
Thank you for sharing it.
Saving for later.
Thank you so much!! Hope you enjoy them as much as I do, if you make them. 💚