There’s nothing quite like soup season. That time of year where the weather calls for comfy sweaters, warm scarves, and nights in with a warm meal while catching up on your favorite shows. Soup is the perfect meal for such nights. Each week we like to make a pot of soup and have it to warm up throughout the week. This week’s is our KALE YEAH BEAN SOUP. It’s got the perfect blend of veggies, beans, broth, and, oh yeah, kale! We start with the soup classics; carrot, celery, and onion. Along with potatoes, and northern beans. Liquid smoke gives a nice touch of smoked flavor to the herby aromatic broth of this soup that is made complete with a handful of fresh kale leaves. This soup is so good it’ll have you discovering why we called it Kale Yeah Bean Soup! So, let’s hop to it!
KALE YEAH BEAN SOUP
- 1 Carrot, sliced
- 1 Stalk of celery- with the leaves, if you have them, diced
- 2 Russet potatoes, dices
- 1 Small onion, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, diced
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 Tablespoon dried onion
- 4-6 Cups water
- Vegetables broth soup base, enough for your taste preference
- 15 Ounce can Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- About 3 cups chopped fresh kale leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Add carrot, celery, potatoes, dried onion, and dried parsley to a large saucepan. Fill the saucepan with enough water to cover the veggies, and a little more. Turn the heat to medium-high.
- When the water has heated through, stir in enough vegetable broth soup base to fit your taste preference. Cook on medium-high heat until the broth comes to a rolling boil.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low and cook for 1-2 minutes until the veggies are tender.
- When the veggies have become tender, stir in the kale. Turn the heat back up to medium-high and bring back to a boil. When boiling, turn heat back down to medium-low. Cover the saucepan with a lid and let the steam wilt and cook the kale.
- After the kale has wilted,fold in the northern beans, nutritional yeast, liquid smoke, and salt and pepper.
- Simmer on low until kale and other veggies are cooked to your liking.