If you love vegetables as much as we do, then our SESAME STIR FRY is a dish to try. A mixture of colorful vegetables sautéed in a sweet and savory sauce that makes for a simple weeknight meal! In our stir fry you’ll find all the veggies you’ve come to know in asian cuisine. Meaty mushrooms, sweet onions, crisp asparagus, snappy snap peas, plus, carrots, red bell pepper, broccoli, and cabbage. All these colorful veggies are cooked in sesame oil and tossed in the easiest tahini sauce you’ve ever seen! We threw in tofu for added protein and served with, get this, spaghetti. If you haven’t made stir fry with spaghetti, I urge you to give it a try because it’s really yummy. Before you start making this meal, we recommend using a large wok or a large high sided skillet when making this dish. So, let’s get cooking!
SESAME STIR FRY:
- small handful curly parsley, chopped
- handful of snap peas
- 3-4 baby white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small sweet onion Or 1/2 of a large sweet onion, diced
- 6-8 asparagus spears, largely chop
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 nice sized broccoli florets, cut up in bites
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced Or shredded
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil + more for pasta
- 1/2 container firm tofu, cut into cubes. To prepare the tofu, drain the water from the package and press with paper towels to soak up as much excess water as possible. Store unneeded tofu in a covered container filled with cold water in the refrigerator.
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- red chili flakes, to taste
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce + more for tahini sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- Enough spaghetti as you feel you need for serving. Reserve 1/4 cup of hot pasta water.
- Start by heating 1 teaspoon sesame oil in your wok or large skillet. Add tofu.
- Sprinkle tofu with onion powder, garlic powder, chili flakes, and coconut sugar. Cook until tofu gets heated through and a little browned. Sprinkle sesame seeds over tofu. Remove from wok onto a plate, set aside.
- Start cooking your spaghetti. When spaghetti is cooked, reserve 1/4 cup of it’s hot water. Drain remaining liquid from pasta, then drizzle spaghetti with some sesame oil and give it a toss to fully coat pasta.
- Add all the veggies to wok or skillet. Pour the reserved pasta water over the veggies. Add 1/4 cup soy sauce. Mix through- cook for five minutes. After five minutes- cover with a lid and cook another five minutes.
- Add pasta and fold around to mix through the veggies. Then lightly mix in tofu and rest of soy sauce. Cook another five minutes to heat through.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine 1 Tablespoon tahini with a light drizzle of soy sauce. Mix together to incorporate into a sauce. Lightly mix tahini sauce into the stir fry.