In three days it’s the biggest day of the year for football fans. Super Bowl Sunday!! For foodies and football fans alike it’s the most junk food binging, ultimate cheat day of the year. I’ve been hearing people say that no veggie should make an appearance at such an event but what if that’s your main diet? Guess, you’re outta luck? We say no! CRISPY COATED TOFU BITES for the win! These tofu bites are the perfect snack–a subtle creaminess on the inside, surrounded by a golden crispy coating. One of the tasty elements I’m fascinated with is how the cornstarch gives the crispy bites a flavor and chew reminiscent of parmesan cheese, but there isn’t a trace of cheese in them! They’re fantastic! I promise you, you’re gonna want these on Super Bowl night. This recipe is for half the package of tofu. If you wanna make the whole package, just double up the listed ingredients. To store the remaining unused tofu, store in an airtight container with cold water covering all the tofu in the refrigerator. So, let’s get cooking!
CRISPY COATED TOFU BITES:
- 7 ounces of a 14 ounce package of Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder + 1/2 teaspoon for coating
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup neutral oil (we used vegetable oil)
- Start by draining the water from the package of tofu. Between some paper towels or in a tofu press, remove the excess water. After you’ve drain the extra water, cut into cubes.
- In a ziplock bag add to it, soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and crushed dried rosemary. Add tofu cubes. Close the bag and maneuver the tofu around a bit so the marinade coats all the tofu cubes. Marinate the tofu for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, remove the tofu from the marinade and pat dry. Place tofu cubes into a mixing bowl– Sprinkle in cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, dried parsley, and salt and pepper. Fold together very gently so not to break the tofu up but fully coat the tofu in mixture.
- Add 1 cup frying oil into an iron pan (our pan in a 10 inch pan) When oil is hot, this will take about three minutes, add tofu cubes carefully to the hot oil. Do not crowd the pan or they won’t brown. Roll around to brown on all sides.
- When golden brown on all sides– Remove tofu bites from the hot oil. Drain bites on a wire rack. Sprinkle with salt while hot.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. We’re using orange sauce but we also like them with a little maple syrup and yellow mustard.