Christmas time always seems like a great time of year to indulge a little more than maybe you would the rest of the year. When you think of sweet holiday treats, you may think of cookies, but there’s one treat I always think of. If anyone were to ask me to pick just one sweet indulgence, my choice would definitely be brownies! Don’t even need to put any thought into it.
I’m excited to share with you our recipe for MICROWAVE BROWNIES! I began researching and recipe developing a couple weeks ago, and it has been the best recipe creating time yet. I’m in awe of how quick and easy these Microwave Brownies can be made. They are chocolatey and fudgy, like a brownie should be. Plus, they can be made VEGAN! We did research on the best egg replacer for brownies and in the end we chose sweet potato. No worries if you’re not vegan, you can also make these with an egg, if you prefer. The sweet potato version does come out a little more on the cake-like side and the egg version is a chewy texture. You’ll need a microwavable baking dish that is about 5×5 x 1 1/2. I find this size is just right. Tried it in a larger dish and the brownies turned out like a pancake, and a smaller dish didn’t have enough room to cook. You’ll just end up with a mess! So, please do use a 5×5 dish. Before we get to the recipe, I’d just like to mention how exhilarating the aroma of chocolate is as it’s cooking. A chocoholics dream. So, let’s hop to it!
- 1/2 cup (vegan) butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg OR 1/4 cup cooked sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk, we used cashew
- If making the Vegan Version — Start by microwaving a small sweet potato for 3-6 minutes. Let cool a bit before peeling/scooping the flesh of the sweet potato from the skin.
- In a small mixing bowl add; butter, sugar, sweet potato (OR egg), and vanilla. With an electric mixer cream together until you reach a grainy butter consistency.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the sugar mixture to the dry mixture. Combine with a hand whisk. The mixture will look like crumbles. Add in the milk and whisk until a thick mousse-like consistency forms.
- Spray a 5×5 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread the batter into the dish.
- Microwave for 6-9 minutes, 3 minutes at a time. After the second 3 minute interval check the center with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean with little cake-like crumbs on it- the brownies are done. If not, cook more, 1 minute at a time until you have desired doneness. Remember that as the brownies cool, the more set they will become.