For generations our county fair had taken place, until this year, in mid-September. It’s new scheduled time is in July. I’m not sure why they changed it. I mean why move from a time when the summer sun is getting milder in its heat meter and the nights are cool enough for a light jacket to a time when we’re in the height of summer and even the night time tends to be hot and humid? I don’t know but I’m sure you’re wondering what this has to do with a recipe for corn fritters?!
While eating our VEGAN CORN FRITTERS I was flashed back to the county fair when we used to walk around with a plate of funnel cake dusted with a ton of confectioners sugar. These fritters have that same funnel cake vibe. They’re slightly crispy around the edges and soft in the center with an extra flavor profile from juicy corn kernels suspended in the middle of this pillowy fritter. Since it’s the time of year where we’re also reaching for the fall flavor experience; we’ve added cinnamon, cloves, and allspice for a subtle taste of pumpkin spice. Add a little sprinkle of salt and a shower of confectioners sugar and you’ve got a tasty snack or dessert that’s perfect for kids and kids at heart. So, let’s hop to it!
VEGAN CORN FRITTERS
- 12 ounce canned corn, drained
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + more for seasoning after frying
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup milk– we used oat milk
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups neutral oil– we used coconut
- confectioners sugar for garnish
- Start by adding the oil to a high sided skillet. Heat on low – medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground allspice, baking powder, sugar, milk, and corn. Stir everything together until all the ingredients are just combined.
- When the oil is hot enough for frying. Drop some of the batter in the skillet by the spoonful. If your pan is big enough, you may be able to get 5 spoonfuls in at a time.
- Fry on each side until golden brown. Place the fried fritters on a paper towel to drain some of the excess oil. Sprinkle it with salt and confectioners sugar.
- Continue until you have used up the fritter batter.
- Serve and enjoy!