A couple years ago we went through a time where we couldn’t get enough loaves of our homemade white bread. You could say it kinda became a hobby. It’s no wonder though– it’s hard to beat the taste of warm pillowy bread fresh from the oven. Add a pad of (vegan) butter or a drizzle of olive oil to it and well, DE-LICIOUS! After taking in way too many unhealthy carbs, we took a day to play around with the recipe to our white bread loaf to make a healthier bread for toast in the mornings. We added some whole grains, cut down the white flour and bada bing bada boom I give you our very own homemade SPROUTED GRAIN BREAD. It’s just as delicious with butter or olive oil and it’s a better option for the mornings toast with a spread of jam or topped with avocado. So, let’s get baking!
SPROUTED GRAIN BREAD:
*1 cup Quick Cook Oats
*1 cup Barely
*4 cups Unbleached Flour
*1 package Dry Active Yeast
*2 1/4 cups Warm Water
*3 tablespoons Sugar
*1 teaspoon Salt
*2 tablespoons Corn Oil
1) *To make oat flour* In a food processor – pulse the quick cook oats till it becomes a flour consistency – set aside.
2) *For this step you’ll need to use a coffee grinder to turn the barley into sprouted grain flour.* About 2 tablespoons at a time, grind the barley using short bursts, each lasting for only a few seconds at a time, till it is a grainy, powdery consistency – set aside.
3) In a large mixing bowl – Dissolve yeast in the warm water. Add sugar, salt, oil, oat flour, sprouted grain flour and 2 cups of the unbleached flour. Beat till smooth. Stir in remaining flour, as needed, 1/2 cup at a time to form a soft dough.
4) Turn onto a floured surface – knead till soft and elastic. This takes about 8-10 minutes. *Don’t forget to flour your hands too! Otherwise the dough will stick to your hands.*
5) Place in a greased bowl – turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise for 1 1/2 hours.
6) Punch down dough – Turning onto a lightly floured surface – Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a greased loaf pan. *I used 8×5 loaf pans* Cover and let rise another 45 minutes.
7) Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes till the top is golden brown and sounds hollow when you tap the top. Place back into the oven, let rest for 5 minutes in the oven – turn the oven off.
8) Remove from pans onto wire baking racks. Cool completely before slicing.
2 thoughts on “Sprouted Grain Bread”
They look so delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe 🙂
Thank you for stopping by and your kind words 💚 Please do make it for yourself, it’s great toasted with jam for breakfast 🙂