Now that we’ve arrived at the time of calendar where the temps have gotten cooler, the leaves have begun to turn their gorgeous colors of reds, yellows, and orange, we can celebrate the time of autumn. All cozy sweaters and blankets can be brought out and fall flavors of pumpkin and spice will be center stage. While we enjoy all things pumpkin let us not push fall’s fresh produce to the side–we sure haven’t with this week’s post! Our AUTUMN CHOWDER is full of produce that is great to use during the summer to fall transition. It’s loaded with colorful and nutritious veggies like, white and sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, and zucchini. Not only does this have a collection of fall colored veggies but is flavored with autumn’s favorite seasoning as well. Ginger and sage are the highlighted flavors along with liquid smoke to give this chowder a well balanced taste. The final flavor note I’d like to tell you about makes this recipe perfect for cool dinner nights. It’s a bottle of lager beer! It’s not a leading flavor but it definitely gives the meal that palate thought of; oh what is that? I Like it!! So let’s get cooking!
- 3 white potatoes, chopped into medium cubes
- 3 sweet potatoes, chopped into medium cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, slices
- 1/2 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked kale
- 1/2 cup canned corn, reserve the liquid to use in chowder
- 1 15 ounce can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups veggie broth + more if needed
- 1 12 ounce bottle lager beer
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons liquid smoke
- Add broth to a large saucepan. Heat up a bit then remove from heat and pour in the bottle of lager. Place back on to the heat and continue to heat up a bit more. Add in the onions, garlic powder, onion powder, dried chopped onions, dried sage, and ginger. Let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped white and sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Stir in the zucchini and kale. Cook for another 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Then add in navy beans, chickpeas, and corn along with its liquid. Continue to cook until the veggies are tender.
- After veggies are cooked, stir in sugar and liquid smoke.