Nothing really compares to the taste of bruschetta. That garlic infused warmed toasty bread that’s drizzled with smooth extra virgin olive oil and, most commonly, topped with diced tomatoes. Those of you familiar with our recipes, know well how much we appreciate the Italian flavors. If you’re new to our recipes blog, it won’t take long to see how much we love not just the flavors of Italy, and the Mediterranean in general, but also the beauty in the lifestyle as well. Today our featured recipe takes the classic idea of tomato bruschetta and gives it a protein pump up. Our LENTIL BRUSCHETTA has classic ingredients like garlic, tomato, basil, onion, and extra virgin olive oil with high protein lentils. We’ve also added a little dijon mustard for a little extra flavor boost. All this is topped on warm garlic infused, olive oil and salt drizzled toast. Oh, did you know the term bruschetta actually refers to the toasted garlic bread?! Hope you enjoyed that little tidbit of information. So, let’s get cooking!
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, cooked
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced + 1-2 whole cloves for garlic bread
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + more for bread
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- fresh basil
- 1/2 a large onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2-4 slices of Italian bread
- Prepare your lentils and let them cool. After they are fully cooled add them to a medium mixing bowl.
- To the bowl with the lentils add the diced garlic, dijon mustard, 3 Tablespoons olive oil, chopped onion, and halved tomatoes. Give them a little toss around.
- Tear a few large basil leaves and add them to the mixing bowl. Add some salt and pepper, to taste, and fold all the ingredients together. Let sit to let the flavors incorporate together as you start to prepare the garlic toast.
- To make the toast you’ll wanna use a loaf of bakery, artisanal Italian bread. Slice 3-4 medium to semi thick slices. Drizzle some olive oil on both sides of the bread slices.
- In a hot skillet, lay the olive oil drizzled bread slices down on the skillet. When it’s golden brown, flip the bread onto it’s other side and let it get golden brown.
- When the bread is toasted, rub a garlic clove over both sides of the warmed toast.
- Top with the lentil mixture.