Mashed potatoes are hot and buttery and, well, just so darn good. No wonder they fall under the ultimate comfort food category. They’re like a warm cozy hug from someone reliable in your life. This week we’re following up our Beyond Meatloaf with another down home cooked classic but we’re giving them our Bunnies twist! Our PARSLEY MASHED POTATOES AND PARSNIPS WITH LAVENDER pairs humble potatoes with somewhat spicy parsnips along with floral lavender and refreshing parsley folded throughout, your taste buds will thank you for this comfort food upgrade! If you’ve never had parsnips before I like to say that they are like if a radish and ginger had a baby, they would give birth to the sultry parsnip! The dried lavender is a surprising but pleasant zing to the tongue. Finally the fresh parsley folded through these flavorful potatoes is the perfect finishing touch to balance out the floral notes of lavender. These would go great with last week’s Beyond Meatloaf and some gravy. So, let’s get cooking!
PARSLEY MASHED POTATOES AND PARSNIPS WITH LAVENDER:
- 5 medium potatoes; washed, peeled, and diced small
- 2 small-medium parsnips; washed, peeled, and diced small
- Water for cooking
- 2 Tablespoons (vegan) butter
- 1/4 cup milk (we used oat milk)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley; washed and chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- salt to taste
- After you prep your ingredients, add the potatoes and parsnips to a saucepan and fill with enough water to cover the veggies. Cook the veggies until very tender.
- While they cook, heat the butter and milk together in the microwave for a minute to melt the butter and stir it into the milk.
- When the potatoes and parsnips are cooked to where they are tender enough to mash, drain the water from the pan.
- With a potato masher, mash the veggies down a bit to give them a head start. Pour the milk/butter into the saucepan. Stir together with the potato masher and keep mashing them until you have a smooth and creamy consistency.
- In a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, mash the dried lavender a bit to break down the buds and release their fragrance. Add the lavender and finely chopped parsley to the mashed potatoes. Fold around to fully incorporate together.
- Sprinkle in salt to taste.