Picnic season is upon us and what says picnic like deviled eggs? When you’re a vegan though, that’s not an option! In comes our VEGAN SPRING POTATOES to save the al fresco dining experience. These potatoes are a twist on the traditional picnic munchie– Deviled eggs and they are the perfect addition to any outdoor dining event. Boiled potatoes are topped with a creamy mixture of sour cream, cream cheese, and dijon mustard, with well rounded seasonings of onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, and thyme. All these ingredients are vegan versions, of course, but if you haven’t chosen a vegan lifestyle, you could very easily make these non-vegan by using regular dairy products. We urge you to try vegan versions of products when possible though. Even if you don’t choose vegan everytime- sometimes use is better than none at all. As we like to say– Small steps add up to big steps over time! Back to these yummy potatoes–Get out the picnic basket and a soft blanket because the warm sun is making more of an appearance. This recipe makes enough for 5 small to medium potatoes. So let’s hop to it!
VEGAN SPRING POTATOES:
- 5 small-medium potatoes
- 1/4 cup (Vegan) sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon (Vegan) cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Ground paprika, for garnish
- Fresh curly parsley, for garnish
- Start by boiling the potatoes until tender but not soft. When tender, drain water and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Let cool completely.
- When the cooked potatoes have come to room temperature, cut 1/4 of the potato from the top, length wise. Set each sliced top section of potato in a food processor. Set the remaining portion of potato on a dish, set aside.
- Add to the food processor, sour cream, cream cheese, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, thyme, and salt and pepper in with the cut section of potato.
- Pulse until combined and you have a mostly smooth consistency.
- Spoon this mixture on top of remaining potatoes. Dust with a sprinkling of paprika. Then top each one with a little sprig of parsley leaf.
- Serve and enjoy!