It’s funny— I don’t think we ever have tacos on “Taco Tuesday”. Mostly because we don’t realize it’s taco day until I’m scrolling through instagram in the evening and see all the yummy #tacotuesday posts. Fortunately there’s no real rule as to when you can enjoy the deliciousness of a flavorful taco. Taco time is anytime! Our SUMMER TACOS are a plant-based treat that even a carnivore will enjoy. They are made up of black beans, fresh corn off the cob, tomatoes, onion, red bell pepper, and beefless meat crumbles. Seasoned with lime, garlic, onion, and your favorite taco seasoning. Because we keep the heat level of spice low in our taco mixture, the top flavor profile is refreshing lime. These tacos have summertime all over them. So, let’s hop to it!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 – 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- About 1/2 pound meatless beef crumbles, brand of your choosing
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels off the cob
- Extra virgin olive oil for sauteing
- 7 ounces cooked black beans, if using canned, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa, spice level of your choosing.
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 Tablespoons of your favorite dry taco seasoning
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Start by preheating a large high sided skillet with a swirl of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the fresh chopped onion, red bell pepper, and corn to the skillet. Saute until the veggies are translucent. This will take about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the cooked veggies from the pan into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the meatless crumbles to the skillet. Periodically move the crumbles around with a wooden spoon until they are heated through.
- While the meatless crumbles are cooking, stir in the garlic powder, onion powder, dried chopped onions, dried parsley, salt & pepper, and taco seasoning. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked veggies back into the skillet. Fold in through the seasoned meatless crumbles.
- Stir in the salsa and lime juice.
- Let heat through.
- Serve in hard or soft taco shells, and top with your favorite taco toppings. Ours is lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese, avocado, and taco sauce.