It’s been a hot hot summer this year and many are looking forward to the autumn season finally being here. Often we think of Memorial day being the starting gun of the summer season and Labor day being the finish line. Even though I’m eagerly anticipating cooler days in a comfy hoodie, I also want to hang onto beautiful warm days eating al fresco. If you’re planning on having a labor day picnic, I recommend our GRILLED CORN PASTA. This pasta dish can be served warm if you’re in a comfort food mood or cold if you want more of a pasta salad vibe. Whichever way you decide to serve it, you can’t go wrong!
Our Grilled Corn Pasta is made up of sweet juicy corn kernels, bell pepper, onion, and rotini pasta in a luscious bechamel sauce. The herbs and spices of this dish are basil, thyme, onion, and a hint of lemon pepper, along with a touch of smokeyness from paprika. Perfect for a side dish or the main treat! We’ve decided to pair it with plant-based sausage. So, let’s hop to it!
GRILLED CORN PASTA:
BECHAMEL SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 Tablespoons (Vegan) Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (we used almond milk)
- Dash of nutmeg
- In a large preheated saucepan add butter and oil. Melt the two together.
- Mix in dried thyme and basil.
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the flour. Stir constantly to cook into the butter/oil until a paste forms. Keep stirring for about one minute.
- Stir in the milk. Turn heat up to a medium heat and stir constantly to smoothly combine the milk and flour paste together.
- Add in the onion powder, lemon pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until it becomes a creamy sauce consistency.
- Set aside to cool.
- 1 heaping cup of rotini pasta
- 1 15 ounce can corn, drained OR 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried chopped onion
- Extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
- 1 Small onion, chopped
- 1 Bell pepper, chopped (Any color of your choosing. We used yellow.)
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Start by cooking your pasta to desired texture. We like to cook our pasta al dente. Drain water and set aside.
- In a preheated large skillet add in a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Add bell pepper, and fresh onion. Saute until translucent. Add to a separate saucepan or mixing bowl with the cooked pasta.
- In the same pan you just removed the bell pepper and onion from, add in the corn kernels, paprika, dried onion, and dried oregano. Toss around a bit, then sprinkle in the coconut sugar. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes. Then add it to the bowl with the pasta.
- Fold everything together. Pour in the Bechamel sauce. Fold together gently.
- Reheat if you’d like it hot.